Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Resilience

This entire fall season has been devoted to studying for the Series 7 exam. I’ve been working hard and studying harder for the past couple months...gave up my social life, pulled a few all nighters and totally committed myself to the STC Series 7 books. Then, last Saturday, I fell short just a few points of passing. After having sat for this 6-hour-long-exam (which had consumed me for the last few months), you can imagine how an overwhelming wave of failure, disappointment & self-defeat came over me which I just couldn’t shake. Vulnerable moments like these are the moments when it’s easiest for us to give up on ourselves. Don’t! (I know, I know…easier said than done)

Make it a point to not make big decisions when you’re at your low points: don’t quit a diet while reading a dessert menu, don’t give up the bike ride while standing under the awning watching it rain, don’t decide to quit your job after getting into a fight with your boss, don’t think you can’t understand something just because you didn’t get it the first time =).
Believe in second chances, seize tomorrows. Make your choices when you’re in the right state of mind so that you make the best decision. Because the truth is, our thoughts are responsible for whatever place or situation we’re in right now. So even in moments of uncertainty, when you’re freaking out, questioning yourself; wondering how you got to where you are…remember you’re there because at some point that’s where you wanted to be.

With the right state of mind, anything is possible. The amount of effort it takes to fail is the same amount of effort it takes to succeed as far as the mind’s concerned…it’s your responsibility to provide the right seeds of thought. Never underestimate the power of a positive attitude.


Yesterday, after a few days of resting my mind (and a few bottles of wine), I regained mental strength & re-opened the books: went back to re-tackle my current challenge; using what I’ve learned up until now as my motivation, not my distraction or excuse to give up.
Vince Lombardi said, “a person’s worth is determined not by how he handles success but by the way in which he deals with failure.” We're young, so we’re resilient – we can always bounce back! Our failures & disappointments are our best teachers; learn from them, don’t run from them. Admit to them, don’t deny them.

After all, the harder you fall…the higher you bounce =)

No comments:

Post a Comment